I'm one of those people who was blonde as a child and has never really gotten over the fact that my hair has changed colour. Oddly enough when I was a child I didn't like being blonde. Almost everyone else in my family had black or brunette hair and I wanted dark hair too. Apparently wishes come true, sort of. I now have that fantastic Irish hair colour which just like the Irish weather can never make up it's mind as to what colour it is. I've had people tell me I've lovely dark blonde, auburn and golden brown hair all in the same day! As a teenager I was unable to cope with this identity crisis so I starting dying my hair when I was around 14 so that whatever hair colour I ended up with it would be just the one hair colour and when someone asked what colour my hair was I wouldn't give a vague answer. My hair since around 2003/2004 has been everything for bleach blonde, pink, purple, blue, ginger, berry red, black, dark brown and slightly more natural shades of blonde.
Of course in the process of all this I destroyed my hair. I have curly hair which is prone to dryness anyway but you add bleach to the combination and you've got matted knots for days.
Last year was when I had finally had enough. I dyed my honey blonde hair back to dark blonde and had my seriously damaged long hair chopped into a graduated bob. It was a big change but it needed to be done.
The change in my hair is unbelievable! It doesn't tangle like it used to, I wear my hair down all the time now and I don't straiten my hair all the time like I used to because I can now keep my curls under control. My hair is shiny and silky. The colour is still an adjustment even after having it on my head for over a year. I became so used to having strong, vivid hair colours and sometimes a blonde girl will walk past and I'll pine for my elven locks but they I remind myself what platinum hair costs, damage wise and money wise. I get complimented on my dark blonde/auburn/golden brown hair all the time and I do think it's a really sweet colour. It suits my complexion a lot more than any of the colours I've dyed my hair over the years and my pale skin looks porcelain not washed out.
Part of me regrets dying my hair but I think I would have regretted it more if I hadn't. I would have always wondered and had a lot of 'what ifs'. I think somewhere along the line I would have dyed my hair and I'd rather have dye disasters in my teens and early 20s than sometime during my 30s or 40s.
Still I would always tell my younger sister who has the same colouring as me not to dye her hair.
Having knots the size of a walnut is never a good look.




No comments:
Post a Comment